Ren'Py Daz Need help starting my own game development

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Also what render settings you recommend with low end gear like me (1080ti)?
Haven't used a 1080ti, so I'm just roughly guessing here, but something like:

1920x1080/2560x1440 (depends on how long you're willing to wait)
Rendering Quality: Off
Max Samples: 1500-2500 (play around with the numbers and see what works for you, will likely vary per scene.)
Max Time (secs): 0
Post-Denoiser: Off.

After rendering completes, use an external denoiser (Taosoft + Intel/Nvidia AI denoiser works well and is free.) and photoshop to clean up the (if any) remaining noise.

Reactions: Shairi 3D

Shairi 3D

Dec 22, 2018
Haven't used a 1080ti, so I'm just roughly guessing here, but something like:

1920x1080/2560x1440 (depends on how long you're willing to wait)
Rendering Quality: Off
Max Samples: 1500-2500 (play around with the numbers and see what works for you, will likely vary per scene.)
Max Time (secs): 0
Post-Denoiser: Off.

After rendering completes, use an external denoiser (Taosoft + Intel/Nvidia AI denoiser works well and is free.) and photoshop to clean up the (if any) remaining noise.
Thank you so much for the time and help. <3

Reactions: MissFortune

Beast Within

Nov 9, 2017
my question would be, why not use diffeomorphic and just transfer your daz scenes to blender to continue from there? I mean yes IRAY is good, but when you reach the animations part you will face many challenges in daz. i've been using daz for a few years now and more or less we have the same specs. personally I am on the opposite side of you. I am just starting to learn blender because it offers solutions to many daz problems. especially when it comes to larger scenes, or lights, physics ( like soft body, jiggles, cloth simulations), animtions and even asset creations like enviroment, hair etc. you can create morphs with sculptin, you can create clothes ( simple cloth pro 3 is a good investment) and a ton of free assets online.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
my question would be, why not use diffeomorphic and just transfer your daz scenes to blender to continue from there? I mean yes IRAY is good, but when you reach the animations part you will face many challenges in daz. i've been using daz for a few years now and more or less we have the same specs. personally I am on the opposite side of you. I am just starting to learn blender because it offers solutions to many daz problems. especially when it comes to larger scenes, or lights, physics ( like soft body, jiggles, cloth simulations), animtions and even asset creations like enviroment, hair etc. you can create morphs with sculptin, you can create clothes ( simple cloth pro 3 is a good investment) and a ton of free assets online.
To be clear, I agree. I think with them knowing Blender, it'd be smarter for them to just work in Blender with Daz itself being the creator for the assets. However, Blender itself is far from a cure all. The challenges a lot of people experience with Daz are often hardware/skill related rather than Daz itself (Daz does have its fair share of problems, to be clear). Animations are Daz's achilles heel, but it's still more than easy enough to get good animations out of it if someone chooses to use it themselves.

Blender is, as a whole, largely very similar to Daz (vast majority of Blender users only use like 20% of the software). Blender is also very similar to Daz in that many of the things it does are half-baked (particle system, soft-body) and require outside (and fairly expensive) addons to get an efficient and working solution going. If you want to make a VN/game/etc., at least.

Reactions: Beast Within

Beast Within

Nov 9, 2017
I whole heartedly agree with everything you say but if I may, I would like to better explain why I suggest what I suggested.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Shairi 3D

Dec 22, 2018
So i found out the issue. It was the hair im going with that is really taxing on the PC. I hid it now Daz become something i can work with. Ill check if its still rendering on CPU when i finish setting up the scene. I think im getting a bit fimiliar to the software.

AllNatural939

I am the bad guy?
Game Developer
Apr 3, 2024
I don't know, it's just my personal opinion, but you shouldn't give up because of your "technical limitations". I'm making a game with DAZ and RenPy and my GPU is a real piece of shit next to yours (2gb GTX 1050) and my CPU is out of date more than 10 years ago, and on top of that I only have 8gb of RAM. I work with G8, forget about G9 and I also use a lot of tricks to reduce rendering times. Everything is learned on the fly. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention...

d1_832_alt.jpg

The skin looks detailed, that's just 310 image scans with Denoiser from the 300 scan... It's all about finding the sweet spot... and also knowing that depending on the distance, you don't need the hair in 4k and the eyelashes in 4k... The eyelashes with textures in 512 at distances like the one in the image are perfect.

Shairi 3D

Dec 22, 2018
I don't know, it's just my personal opinion, but you shouldn't give up because of your "technical limitations". I'm making a game with DAZ and RenPy and my GPU is a real piece of shit next to yours (2gb GTX 1050) and my CPU is out of date more than 10 years ago, and on top of that I only have 8gb of RAM. I work with G8, forget about G9 and I also use a lot of tricks to reduce rendering times. Everything is learned on the fly. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention...

View attachment 3994767

The skin looks detailed, that's just 310 image scans with Denoiser from the 300 scan... It's all about finding the sweet spot... and also knowing that depending on the distance, you don't need the hair in 4k and the eyelashes in 4k... The eyelashes with textures in 512 at distances like the one in the image are perfect.
That looks absolutely stunning and great work. Maybe coming from blender i had high expectation of accessibility but seeing your work gives a lot of inspiration. Might have to do a lot of tweaking and experimenting before i go into actual rendering. I made a scene in Daz and now i learned i have to do more research about lighting as it is nothing like cycles but more of a manual light. Thanks for making time to give boost to my project and ambition.

Reactions: AllNatural939

Shairi 3D

Dec 22, 2018
Hey Everyone!
So i tried experimenting with a scene and lighting. Lighting is the part im struggling with and Still figuring out a lot of things.
But one thing is still same. When its rendering, its still not using GPU while using around 14-25% of CPU.
Also did a test render, so please give me insight or advice how can i improve this render. This render is done with settings sugessted above but like 8000 iteration. Took around 7 min for render.

eri

Game Developer
Dec 3, 2017
Hey Everyone!
So i tried experimenting with a scene and lighting. Lighting is the part im struggling with and Still figuring out a lot of things.
But one thing is still same. When its rendering, its still not using GPU while using around 14-25% of CPU.
Also did a test render, so please give me insight or advice how can i improve this render. This render is done with settings sugessted above but like 8000 iteration. Took around 7 min for render.
1725989308133.png

Last edited:

Beast Within

Nov 9, 2017
This render is done with settings sugessted above but like 8000 iteration. Took around 7 min for render.

keep in mind that if you have render quality enabled, you will never hit 8k iterations. i usually turn quality off and switch to denoiser.
depending on your pc you could just go with about 1500 iterations, disable render quality and enable the denoiser at 1498. denoiser at that number is basically telling daz when the denoiser to kick in, leaving for example the iray to work its magic for 1498 iterations and hte remaining two are for the denoiser to fix the grain and clean the render

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
The way to know for sure which device is used for the render is to look in the Daz log, it states quite clearly.

You can open the log from the help menu.

then search for "CPU" and "GPU" and read the lines thereabout.

idTerra

May 23, 2021
If you were CPU rendering then your CPU usage would have been near 100%. You can maybe check your dedicated VRAM usage under the "Performance" tab? It should ramp up and stay high after starting a render. Task manager sometimes doesn't show high GPU utilization.

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
Hey Everyone!
If you're CPU usage is only 14-25% and you are rendering, then it's using the GPU. Like said above, when using CPU, you'll see 90-99% usage. Plus, there's no way in hell you could do 8000 iterations on CPU in under 7 minutes, lol.

It's worthwhile to install a GPU/CPU hardware monitor. I use MSI Afterburner (have for like 15+ years) but most GPU driver suites have a monitor of some sort built in to their apps.

With a good hardware monitor, you can get your cooling set up right, map your fans to work better and see how much VRAM your scenes are using.

Shairi 3D

Dec 22, 2018
If you're CPU usage is only 14-25% and you are rendering, then it's using the GPU. Like said above, when using CPU, you'll see 90-99% usage. Plus, there's no way in hell you could do 8000 iterations on CPU in under 7 minutes, lol.

It's worthwhile to install a GPU/CPU hardware monitor. I use MSI Afterburner (have for like 15+ years) but most GPU driver suites have a monitor of some sort built in to their apps.

With a good hardware monitor, you can get your cooling set up right, map your fans to work better and see how much VRAM your scenes are using.
I was using MSI afterburner before bbut now i installed Aorus own software. Ill check logs, maybe its is using GPU but task manager is not showing.