game engine question

Kruger1

Aug 10, 2023
I've been curious about potential game dev. Is it better go with RPG maker or unity, if I'm beginner

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
Fuck Unity and their bullshit. Better choices are RPGM (Easy to learn, hard to master) or Godot (Harder to learn, but more flexible.) Otherwise, Unreal and Renpy are options depending on the game you want to make. I'm assuming RPG, given the two you stated as options.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
If you're a beginner (no experience at all with Unity) go for Godot.

RPG Maker is also fine, and many of those concepts can be replicated on Godot if you stick to 2D.

Kruger1

Aug 10, 2023
yeah. I've played many games made with unity and most of the time they have been quite hard to get to work, cuz of localization and whatnot.

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
I didn't mean Unity as an engine, I mean the company doesn't deserve anyone using it. They've proven that they're a whim away from completely fucking over anyone using Unity for game development. I hope someone pisses on their cornflakes.

Reactions: letsgethappy

Kruger1

Aug 10, 2023
okay I see :D. I think I'll look into rpg maker, seems to have the lowest barrier of entry.

Insomnimaniac Games

Degenerate Handholder
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
okay I see :D. I think I'll look into rpg maker, seems to have the lowest barrier of entry.
Then you'll want either MV or MZ, and . It's a hell of a resource for just about anything MV/MZ related.

Reactions: Kruger1

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
No, don't get MV. Get MZ.

-edit-
Get it from here:

Reactions: Kruger1